- Students will play a game requiring everyone to work together to pass around a very noisy object without alerting a listener
- During this game, students will practice collaborative skills such as respectful communication, kindness, and teamwork
- An empty container that is filled with noisy items such as rocks, beads, or dried lentils
This activity supports the development of the following social-emotional skills: relationship skills and social awareness.
Before playing this game, discuss how collaboration is when we work with others to achieve a common goal. Then, introduce the game to students, which will require them to work together to pass around a noisy object while remaining very, very quiet!
Students will follow these steps to play the game:
- Stand up and form a large circle, with one student in the middle of the circle.
- The student in the middle will close their eyes while the other students in the circle pass the jar to each other. The goal is to pass the jar without moving or shaking it enough to make any sounds.
- The student in the middle will try to guess the location of the jar by listening carefully. If they think they know where the jar is, they should point in that direction. If the student guesses correctly, they can come out of the circle and the teacher can choose another student to take their place.
Before you start the game, set expectations by asking the following questions:
- What is our shared goal when we are standing in the circle?
- How should we behave with each other in order to achieve our goal? What type of mindset do we need?
- How will we handle disagreements or different ways of thinking when working together?